Here we have a reconditioned Conover Cable WCC185 Grand Piano
Make: Conover Cable WCC185
Conover Cable Company Pianos
The Conover Piano Company was established in 1883 by brothers J. Frank Conover and George Conover. Originally located in Kansas City, Missouri, the firm was known as “Conover Brothers”. By 1890, both brothers had relocated to Chicago to take advantage of the booming piano manufacturing industry there.
In 1890, the famous Cable Conover Company of Chicago consolidated with Conover Brothers. Shortly thereafter, the firm acquired The Schiller Company , using both Conover and Schiller instruments as their ‘top of the line’ models.
In 1904, The Conover Cable Company had the opportunity to bail The Mason & Hamlin Piano Company out of bankruptcy in the amount of $100,000. As a part of the deal, the Conover-Cable Company obtained the Mason and Hamlin dealerships, and had access to some of the designs of Richard Gertz of Mason and Hamlin.
Conover built five grand different grand piano models during the early 20th Century; the Model 66 which is 5 feet 5 inches, which also was called the “Fairy Grand”, the Model 77 around 5 feet 10 inches, the Model 88 which is 6 feet 4 inches, and then two which had Mason & Hamlin plates modified to show the Conover logo. These were the Model 99 which is a Mason BB, and the Model 100 which is the Mason and Hamlin CC1 at 9 feet 4 inches. The Fairy Grand had the Crownstay rim which had a single bar tension resonator and a circular system of beams for rim support. The other models had no tension resonator, but used plenty of lumber. The long side of the rim was often laminated white ash and eight inches thick.
Call or email us for more info
Located in our Burbank location